Welcome

Welcome to "Fun With Children's Literature", an interactive blog featuring activities to encourage kids to read, write, and illustrate children's books.


Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Summer Reading List

Happy May Day!  Spring has arrived and most of us are looking ahead to summer.  My thoughts go to gardening and then relaxing with a book in my back yard with the chickens and my flower gardens.

I'm sure many parents are thinking of activities for the younger members of their families who will soon be out of school.  I hope you'll include lots of time for reading.

Congratulations Teachers, you're almost done for the year.  Even though you're ready for summer break, over the summer you will probably doing some planning for next year.  I hope you'll read some new books this summer to introduce to your students in the fall.

So this is going to be my activity over the next few blog posts:  Making a Summer Reading List of Children's Books for readers of all ages to enjoy. 

When searching for titles I want to read I often start with award winning books.  Here are some of this years winners.

The Newberry Medal Winner for 2012 is: Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos.  The Honor Books are:  Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai and Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Yelchin.

The 2012 Coretta Scott King Author Award Winner is: Heart and Soul by Kadir Nelson.  The Author Honor Books are: The Great Migration:  Journey to the North by Eloise Greenfield and Never Forgotten by Patrick McKissack.

These books all sound fascinating and are now at the top of my list.

I invite you all to help me build this list by sharing your favorite children's book titles.  It can be books you've read, want to read or titles your children or students love the most. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment